Real Salt Lake fall in final minutes against Vancouver at BC Place

SALT LAKE CITY – Real Salt Lake wasted points in the dying minutes of the game against Vancouver on the road after Aaron Herrera was shown red and conceded a penalty with minutes remaining.

Despite the loss, Real Salt Lake were the dominant team for most of the game, adding more frustration to the loss before the extended break.

“We played a very good game, but unfortunately the game comes down to moments and we lost on a broken set piece and a failed recovery in transition,” Mastroeni said in the after interview. -match.

Manager Pablo Mastroeni opted not to change the starting XI from a week ago when RSL forcefully beat Houston Dynamo 3-0 at Rio Tinto Stadium. Recently signed attacking midfielder Diego Luna was welcomed on the bench and was joined by Jefferson Savarino, Anderson Julio and Everton Luiz, among others.

The game started with Vancouver looking to assert their authority early, forcing Real Salt Lake with very little time on the ball. However, Real Salt Lake were able to withstand the pressure and play through it, but were unable to threaten Vancouver’s goal.

Despite the impressive form on the road, Real Salt Lake seemed determined to see the level of play in the main break. That was, until poor defending handed Vancouver the game’s first goal in the 31st minute after a long corner kick found the head of centre-back Ranko Veselinović who swung the ball over and past Zac MacMath. Naturally, MacMath stood up, disgusted by his teammates’ defensive effort.

As soon as the goal was scored, Vancouver settled into a much more compact defensive form, asking Real Salt Lake to be creative as they tried to move the ball around in the attacking third.

No changes were made by Mastroeni to the main interval.

It didn’t take long for Real Salt Lake to get back on the scoreboard in the second half. Sergio Córdova found space in the box and headed a shot that was stopped by Whitecaps goalkeeper Cody Cropper on the goal line. But as the VAR check was underway to decide whether the ball had crossed the line or not, play continued and Justin Meram pocketed the ball from Ryan Raposo and mowed the shot just at the near post to level the proceedings in the 52nd minute. .

Savarino came on for Maikel Chang in the 62nd minute as Real Salt Lake began their push for the game-winner and fourth comeback win of the season.

Chaos ensued in the 80th minute when Pablo Ruiz hit a shot just outside the box taking a deflection into the path and hitting the correct woodwork.

Real Salt Lake conceded what was supposed to be the winner in the 84th minute, but Tosaint Ricketts was ruled offside and the goal called up.

Luna made his debut in the 88th minute when he replaced Sergio Córdova and slotted in just behind Bobby Wood in attack. Luna’s debut meant the 28th Real Salt Lake player to see playing time this season.

“It was really cool to have a few minutes and start my career here at Real Salt Lake…my teammates welcomed me with open arms and I’m really lucky to be at this club,” said said Luna after the game.

Just as the fourth referee signaled that there would be three minutes of added time, Vancouver broke on the counterattack and Aaron Herrera was forced into a sliding challenge in the box in a bid to eliminate a goalscoring opportunity. Unfortunately, Herrera didn’t make any contact with the ball and was shown a red card while giving away a penalty in the process.

In the 93rd minute, Ryan Gauld penalized the penalty into the back of the net sending MacMath the wrong way.

Vancouver stole three points at home despite being on the back foot for most of the game.

next game

Real Salt Lake will begin its bye week and return to the field on June 18 when they host the San Jose Earthquakes on June 18.

As always, the match will be available to stream for free via the KSL Sports and KSL 5 TV apps or on KSL Sports dot com.

Comments are closed.